Summertime is upon us, and its arrival brings some of our favorite pastimes! Family vacations, beach days, pool time and BBQs are just a few things we look forward to. And, of course, the fun and fireworks of Independence Day.
Another warm weather staple is the street fair. Mostly free and running the gamut from free concerts to food festivals, they’re always a good time for the whole family. And, when it comes to street fairs, few cities have as many summertime street fairs to choose from as NYC does. Every Saturday and Sunday across the boroughs, there are always several events to choose from. And, don’t forget the flea markets and green markets, where you can peruse one-of-a-kind finds and shop for yummy treats.
There are literally hundreds of outdoor events, fairs and markets going on across the city, and too many to list here. However, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best to choose from.
Events occurring all summer long:
- Smorgasburg — April through November, this sister fair of Brooklyn Fair features over 100 food vendors and has been called the “Woodstock of Eating”.
- Movies in the Park — Although most cities now host a summer movie series, there’s something just a little more magical about watching a movie in Central Park. Ranging from family fare to foreign films to classics, there’s a bit of everything.
- Summer Concerts — Another series thrown by NYC parks, these concerts have something for everyone—from award-winning classical symphonies to Indie artists to dance parties—even free karaoke!
- Summer on the Hudson - Playdates — Outdoor parties for families, including bounce-houses, children’s entertainers, and all kinds of neighborhood fun.
- On June 20th, the iconic Mermaid Parade takes place in Coney Island.
- On July 4th, the Staten Island Independence Festival isn’t one to miss.
- Starting August 2nd , the Summer Streets series takes place.
Here, we’ve just highlighted a few fun street fairs in NYC. But, don’t take our word for it, get out there and explore your great city for even more!